View Single Post
Old 24 October 2022, 01:24 PM   #82
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
To clarify you mean you believe that you should have to condition and polish new shoes the minute you get them?

Not true. The truth is more that you want to condition and polish as needed. Doesn't mean I won't do it, but I only do it when the shoes or boots need it and that is rather rare when I find I need to do it when I first get a pair of shoes or boots. Typically that's the case only when I wish to apply a spit shine or as some call it a bull shine then I have applied polish to a new pair of shoes and even then I only apply what is necessary and typically on a good pair of shoes it doesn't take much.

Also there are a good number of shoes I will condition and rarely polish as I only apply polish or conditioner when necessary. Overuse is just that overuse and there certainly can be as you only need to apply when needed. Because some shoes, boots, and leathers don't really need that much polish and conditioning is more in line with what they need.

Do keep in mind however that a conditioner such as Bick 4 will help prevent water spots. If I knew I were wearing a pair of shoes or boots in the rain it wouldn't hurt to apply a bit of conditioner if you have not yet.
Thanks! I just picked up some Bick 4 and Saphir wax in dark brown. I saw a video of Kirby Allison saying to apply them to new Allen Edmonds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sSrdbt2eM) and I was curious if Viberg boots would need a similar treatment. I'll apply when needed though and if I wear them in the rain. Thanks for the tips!