View Single Post
Old 7 June 2013, 10:27 AM   #45
WJGESQ
Banned

[QUOTE=Submarino;3094368]I hope this can become a sticky on the AP Forum as I believe a lot of people considering buying a pre-owned AP would benefit from the advice I am giving out.

Always keep in mind the following when making a purchase of a pre-owned AP. Especially when buying a Royal Oak or a Royal Oak Offshore.

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.

2. If you buy a pre-owned modern AP RO or ROO try to get one that is not very old (F series and up) ideally with some service history and in overall great shape. Don't by a beater even if it's a good deal! You'll pay the difference afterwards.

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

4. On 5402s even after being serviced, AP doesn't guarantee any water-resistance. Don't even get it wet while washing your hands.

5. If you buy a ROO (Pre F-series) make sure it comes with service papers or service history. Otherwise stay away, unless you know the owner or the watch is really flawless.

6. Do not have the watch or bezel polished by independents. You might lose the AP bevels and bezel will become rounded over time and thin out. AP uses a special machine to keep the octagonal shape intact and polished/brushed areas perfectly balanced.

7. If you buy an AP still under warranty make sure to get the warranty registered and get your third year sticker. If the warranty is close to expire send the watch in and work will be done under warranty giving you another 2 years.

8. If you open a case back on a ROO do not attempt to open the anti-magnetic casing that holds the movement inside as those screws are very delicate. If you open the case back you are voiding any warranty on the watch as AP will know it was opened. Get it pressured test it if you do.

9. If you want to go AP make sure you have done your research, tried the watch on and have money ready for the service when the time comes. As Ken accurately mentioned, the service on modern APs will be expensive but not as expensive as it is on a Vintage piece like mine unless something is seriously wrong or other watchmakers before your ownership messed up the movement.

10. Stay away from a RO Quartz as changing the battery is something that needs to be done every 2-3 years. To change the battery you need to disassemble the whole watch. Remove the bezel, dial, hands, crown, etc. to access the movement and then replace the battery. If done by an independent there are a ton of things that can go wrong. Then again you will need to have AP do it and it gets really pricey even when it's just a battery change as they will still force you to do a periodic service.

I hope other owners and future owners learn from my experience and use this advice moving forward. I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeals I've been dealing with this week.

If my crown came apart in my hand twice in two years, I'd lose faith in the quality real fast and be taking my affections elsewhere. You must really like the brand.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote