View Single Post
Old 23 November 2013, 05:40 AM   #50
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingi310 View Post
Submarino: First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this out.

I am wondering what the basis is for your first piece of advice quoted above.

If I buy a high-quality vintage watch with an unknown service history I first wear it for awhile and decide if it is a "keeper." If it is, I go ahead and send it our for service. I have done with with both my Rolex 16750 and Zenith A385 and am glad I did so.

Your advice below to NOT get it serviced is contrary to the advice I have received from most other collectors of vintage watches. I know that an AP service is much more expensive than Rolex, but they are reputed to do a great job in Le Brassus.

What gives?

Cheers,

Jon
SF, CA

Because everyone loves photos, here is the watch underlying my curiosity...

I gave that advise since I try not to send a watch in for service until it stops or if something seems off regarding the running condition of the watch —accuracy, power reserve, crown issues, weird noise coming from the rotor, etc. Sometimes you can avoid a $3-4K bill from a service on a vintage AP Royal Oak or at least postpone the expense if it's in good running condition. By the way that RO on your picture is beautiful!!! Serial???

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote