View Single Post
Old 27 January 2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Bracelet Removal, Touch-up, Replacement..

A lot of members seem to be interested in taking off their bracelet...and others about touching up the bracelet..

So, I thought I would combine the two.

Some of my watches get pretty beat up...especially if I'm out in the rocks or engaged in an active pastime...or, just over time..

Let's begin.. First, you need a place that has some room and is comfortable...this shouldn't be done on a couch in front of the tube... you could lose some parts..
Workspace.jpg

The basic tool is a spring-bar tool such as the Bergeon 6111. Here it is at the bottom along with another standard spring-bar tool. You can see that the 6111 has narrow forks. These narrow forks are needed to fit in the narrow slot of the Rolex Bracelet:
BarTools.jpg
Close-up
BarTools2.jpg

The first step is to remove the spring-bar from the clasp. Using the pin-punch end of the spring bar tool this is easily accomplished. A toothpick can also be used:
PinTool.jpg
Here you can see how the spring-bar tool is inserted into the slot to capture the flange and pressing inward, compress the spring bar:
BarTool3.jpg

I recommend this "pinch technique" where the end-link is held between the thumb and forefinger while exerting some outward pressure to keep the spring-bar pivot from slipping back into the hole:
Pinch.jpg

Once apart, we can see that we have the two spring-bars, the one for the clasp, and two bracelet halves. The outside half gets most of the abuse as is readily noticed:
RawBrclt1.jpg

We will use a green Scotch Brite pad for the touch up and to re-align the grain. About 20 strokes along the length while holding one end, then another 2o after rotating the bracelet and holding the other end. This helps ensure some uniformity and complete coverage:
RawBrclt2.jpg

Once we have it touched up to our satisfaction, the watch can be reassembled and given a warm soapy wash.. then it's ready for the box until called upon again:
FinshBrclt.jpg

.... Bracelet Installation Procedures......

Some have asked for tips on installing the bracelet back onto the watch head. I am using a different watch here. This watch has through lug holes and no slot in the end-link for a tool to fit. The procedure is the same for either style.

First, another tool is needed. I will use a case-back knife, but any flat blade will do the job..even a popsicle stick:
Install1.jpg

You may choose to tape the lugs to avoid scratches. Here I am using masking tape, but any durable tape will do, although I do not recommend "Scotch" tape as it easily shreds:
Install2.jpg

Install the spring-bar into the end-link and lay the link with the ends of the spring resting on the back of the lugs:
Install3.jpg

I recommend the same pinch procedure used for the removal here, but for photography, I show pressing down on the end-link and using the flat blade of the tool to compress the spring-bar end until it can be pushed between the lugs:
Install5.jpg

Once both ends are between the lugs, you can maneuver the end-link around a bit until you hear both pivots snap into the holes. ON through hole lugs, you can verify visually to ensure the pivot is visible in the hole:
Install6.jpg

If you choose not to tape, or did get an accidental scratch on the back of the lug, it is easily taken care of:
Install7.jpg

This is one of the best uses of the nylon fiber pens that are available at most watch part/tool Vendors:
Install8.jpg

Once you have these minor touch-ups done, your watch is ready for many more months of use before it's necessary again..

FinshBrclt2.jpg

Here is a handy chart to use with the part number and screw-slot size for the various Rolex bracelets.

rolex bracelet size.jpg

Last edited by Tools; 15 April 2021 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Add Bracelet Installation
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote