View Single Post
Old 9 March 2009, 01:58 PM   #15
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
Vanessa, I know you're a professional and have no intention to challenge your opinion. However, everyone of my Rolex including new in box had a little clicking sounds when watch is shaken. I don't think all of them are broken??
In addition, I've sent several of them to Rolex for regulation or service and all came back the same way.
So maybe we're talking about different noises?
I agree. I bought my DJ brand new from an AD and it also makes this "rotor" noise. Sounds similar to my Tissot rotor winding (except my Tissot has a _loud_ winding rotor - you can hear it up to about 8 - 10 inches from your ear; sounds like a ratchet clicking. And I know it's indeed the rotor because it has a skeleton caseback, so I can see it turning).

However, on my DJ, it took a much more forceful shake to make the sound when it was brand new. After a few months, it took less force. Also when it was new, it took a lot more movement of my wrist to keep the power reserve up - so much so, that it'd sometimes stop at night when I was sleeping. Now the problem doesn't happen. I don't think it's coincidence. I believe that my DJ was sitting on my AD's shelf for at least a year before I bought it (according to the serial #) and because of this, maybe the lubrication needed some time to "break-in."

These noises are different from a "grinding" sound which I hear from my very old Tudor (I don't know its original year, but based on stuff I've read from this forum, I suspect that it's from 1969). I agree with Vanessa that this is most likely the rotor grinding against the inside of the case. I'm not the original owner of the Tudor, however I know that it has never been serviced - so this makes sense.

-Greg
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote