View Single Post
Old 14 May 2021, 04:13 AM   #22
jrocco71
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT Master I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenigma View Post
No way, I don't believe that. If anything they'll just be marginally over retail. But as long as supply is artificially kept low, all steel sports Rolex models will continue to trade over list. Period.

I’ve been looking into this claim that the low supply of new Rolex stainless steel sports models is “artificial.” And from what I’ve learned, the supply is:

a. Not low. Either in reality or “artificially”
b. Quite readily available at market prices. Anyone with $16,000 to spend, +/- 5% maybe? — can buy a ref. 116710BLNR with box & papers.
c. Simply because any particular model is not to be had over the counter by just strolling into nearly any Rolex retailer with money, is not an indication of a lack of supply. There ARE watches for sale. Possibly not for sale to YOU, yet they are for sale nonetheless.

Looking at other brands like AP, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, etc. we see that Rolex makes an enormous amount of watches by comparison; like, 10x, 15x, or more each year. 750,000 to 1,000,000 watches per year doesn’t equate to even distribution of models produced. I’m sure Rolex makes 5 or 8 times as many pieces in Gold and Platinum than they do in stainless steel. That’s for starters. And even if steel sports models WERE the focus of Rolex annual output, it STILL would not be enough! Because right now they’re crankin’ out plenty of watches and it’s isn’t enough. But it will never be enough. Rolex is a highly desirable good. It’s a piece of jewelry, sure. And also a high performance, quality timepiece, an heirloom, a status symbol, and incredibly enough, an investment! It will always be in demand. People love a Rolex. What it stands for, what it signifies, what it says about YOU, how it feels on your arm, how it looks...and there will always be a limited number of them to go around. Supply isn’t the problem. Your issue is really with the COST associated with acquiring a Rolex, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrocco71 is offline   Reply With Quote