View Single Post
Old 27 September 2016, 05:47 PM   #6
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Thanks everyone!

Some more photos of Littorio in different camouflage schemes.

Littorio and her 2 sisters Vittorio Veneto and Roma displaced 45,000 tons, mounted 9 15in rifles and are generally regarded as the best looking battleships ever built. The Italians did a fine job with the Littorio class, and being designed for the Med fleet, they were more than adequate.

Littorio was damaged in November 1940 during the British air raid on Taranto. Taranto was the genesis for Pearl Harbor. The Japanese paid close attention to the good results which proved aircraft could attack and destroy moored battleships. After Italy switched sides in 1943, Littorio, having been named for the symbol of Italian fascism, was renamed Italia. Littorio survived the war but was scrapped in the 1950s.

The model is going to depict her after the Taranto raid in March 1941. Right now I'm just trying to confirm that there were no aerial recognition stripes painted on the deck. These were added to keep friendly forces from attacking their own ships. Most axis navies had some sort of aerial recognition scheme. The Italians used a red and white barber pole scheme while the Germans, as subtle as they were, painted enormous swastikas on the bow and stern with giant red banners behind them. The Japanese used huge red disks representing their rising sun emblem. These were mostly used on carriers but some other ships had the national flag painted on the gun turrets.

I have a nice set of plans showing me all of the post Taranto modifications made to Littorio since they took the opportunity to rebuild some of the equipment while she was in dry dock. Mostly little things like the removal of the 3rd anchor on the starboard bow.

Anyway, more to come