View Single Post
Old 14 October 2016, 03:13 AM   #28
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer

Some progress. Most of the hull detail is finished. Still have some bits and pieces here and there. Notably the diamond trad plates around the 6" guns. All main and secondary armament is finished. The main armament took way longer than necessary because the guy who lathed the rifle barrels for the 15in main guns didn't machine the mounting pin to any perticular size. I use metric carbide micro drill bits and didn't have anything approximating the goofy size he used. I made due by drilling a smaller hole than I needed and reaming it slightly. No room for error because I had 9 blast bag parts and destroying one meant I'd have to re-do all of them so they matched. An irritating setback.

Most navies of the time put a layer of teak wood over the armored deck because teak doesn't get slippery when wet. You see this today even on modern cruise ships. The Italians only added teak to the stern area near the aircraft handling equipment. The rest of the decks were just painted and they used diamond plate where important. The reason they didn't go nuts with the wood was expense. The Littorio class battleships would operate entirely in the Med so they wouldn't experience the nasty storms of the North Atlantic. Other than rain, their decks wouldn't be awash, so why spend all the Lira? This makes construction go faster for me. Since I use real wood and loathe masking, I can add all the detail I like, airbrush the hull sides and deck their respective shades of grey and move on. I don't have to work about fitting decks made of real wood and accidently getting paint on them.