View Single Post
Old 14 October 2016, 03:26 AM   #29
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post

Most navies of the time put a layer of teak wood over the armored deck because teak doesn't get slippery when wet. You see this today even on modern cruise ships. The Italians only added teak to the stern area near the aircraft handling equipment. The rest of the decks were just painted and they used diamond plate where important. The reason they didn't go nuts with the wood was expense. The Littorio class battleships would operate entirely in the Med so they wouldn't experience the nasty storms of the North Atlantic. Other than rain, their decks wouldn't be awash, so why spend all the Lira? This makes construction go faster for me. Since I use real wood and loathe masking, I can add all the detail I like, airbrush the hull sides and deck their respective shades of grey and move on. I don't have to work about fitting decks made of real wood and accidently getting paint on them.
Loathe masking? I enjoy it. There's something strangely cathartic about masking. Especially removing it and revealing the lines...

Anyway, nice work so far Joe. Looks great.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote