View Single Post
Old 15 October 2018, 01:34 AM   #18
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpstl750 View Post
On another note, I'm trying to diversify my watch collection.

I find myself with 3 Omega watches that just don't do it for me. Thoughts on other brands that aren't as costly as Patek but still great watches?
The only Omega I would keep is the Speedie "moon watch" (hesalite / solid back version), that one is a bargain given what you get (iconic history and an interesting manual wind movement that is a distant cousin to the Lemania used in the PP 5070).

For value retention Rolex's steel sports models are unbeatable, but also fairly common.

For "bang for the buck" I always found JLC excellent value for what you get: Strong horological history (including supplying all of the "Holy Trinity" with movements during the pre-inhouse era), nice finishing (although not PP level) and a diverse selection of styles to chose from including the unique Reverso line. JLCs are, however, probably best bought second hand, as they do take a hit from RRP.

Could also make sense to look into some of the indie / AHCI brands, again very good value for money and some ateliers have a higher level of hand finishing than even Patek / Lange. I am e.g. extremely happy with my Urban Jürgensen "Alfred", both aesthetically and in terms of the level of finishing of movement and case/dial/hands:

MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote