m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Davosa - The Homage Diver

I looked it up in the dictionary, and homage is defined by Dictionary.com as:
Quote:
noun
  1. respect or reverence paid or rendered:
    In his speech he paid homage to Washington and Jefferson.
  2. the formal public acknowledgment by which a feudal tenant or vassal declared himself to be the man or vassal of his lord, owing him fealty and service.
  3. the relation thus established of a vassal to his lord.
  4. something done or given in acknowledgment or consideration of the worth of another:
    a Festschrift presented as an homage to a great teacher.
So, not really what many horologists would think when describing a homage watch. A homage is not a fake, it's not a replica, it's something that is designed to acknowledge and honor a design. I would not buy a fake or knock-off. That's just wrong. But for someone to put their own name on it, but closely remind us of a superior and original design, I think that's OK. Lots of manufacturers have Rolex Submariner homages even if they don't market them or represent them as such. It's such an iconic design, that it's well worth repeating some of the elements.

And let's be fair, not everyone can own or even afford to maintain a Rolex.

And for those who wonder, yes, I've owned many Rolex watches, including a 14060M, a couple of 114060 and other variations of the Submariner with the date in different metals. I am familiar with the watch. But you know what I hate? I hate spending a few hours working in the yard, around the house or on the car and then realizing a little too late, that all this time I've been wearing my $8000 watch, getting it dirty, sweaty, and on more than one occasion, scratched. I hate that. So why not a beater? And I don't wear smart watches, I don't do quartz and most inexpensive watches really don't hold up well, don't look good and aren't comfortable. So I thought I'd try one of these.

All pictures are mine. If you can't tell by looking, I'm not a professional photographer.

(review continues...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3990.JPG (271.2 KB, 146 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote