View Single Post
Old 15 December 2020, 11:50 PM   #290
dry
"TRF" Member

Tritium "corn" dial/Pumpkin patina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
Wow it's a pretty and uniformed patina development on the markers Richard. I think I can settle with cream markers and hands if I can't get a white dial to turn cream. It actually looks prettier with a matching contrast of clean white dial peppered by cream markers and hands.

What's approximate SN is yours and how is your wearing patterns? Outdoor, sunny or safe Queen when you start to notice the transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the cream markers of the early 16570 can only be found in some models from late 1980s to early 1990s . It was a production fault in that the tritium on some batches turned yellow or pumpkin coloured after 10+years. rolex corrected the fault in mid 1990s after complaints of it turning biege. These "defective " models are fast becoming collectors item being sold on the internet for $15K to 20K depending on condition .
Of course some owners would try to expediate the ageing process of some later models or mimic it by placing it in the hot sun or UV light but for these
the markers would have tell tale sign like unevenness or small microbubbles akin to crackling . so beware.
I myself was very fortunate to own a 1992 model that has a pumpkin patina hour markers even more yellow than the one sold above. I almost sold it off in mid 1990s when it turn slightly yellowish as initially it looks "firty" but it has somehow mellowed and gives a seasoned character to the 16570. My gut feeling is that it would go up in value soon as a google search of the internet reveals very few of these Tritium "corn" dial or Pumpkin patina.
dry is offline   Reply With Quote