View Single Post
Old 23 September 2020, 02:55 AM   #671
BaltimoreBrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: iZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollypoint View Post
Old men love to talk about their past.
When my parents gave up trying to convince me I couldn’t make a living pretending to be Mike Bridges in Sea Hunt, they gave me this watch. I have the box and papers and all service records but no receipt. My Dad told me later that he had only two choices, a Seiko and this one. He was in the 1st Marines in WWII, so the Swiss watch won. There apparently wasn’t much price difference. This was in Tallahassee in 1972. The serial number makes it 1969, so I assume it sat in the shop. I don’t think they bought it used.
The original bracelet was destroyed about 1979, as in pieces of it are still on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. Being stupid I bought another one from Rolex and it made it about 5 years. I put it in the box and started using straps, when I discovered NATOs life got better.
Through the 70s almost everyone I dove with wore these. There were a few Seikos but I only remember one Omega. This has sat on my wrist 24 hours a day for what? Almost 50 years now, and it has been seriously abused in its life. It has never ever failed. A magnificent tool, near perfect in both form and function.
Thanks for asking about it.
Just a fantastic story and watch. Thank you for sharing this, i am fascinated by original owners and their vintage watches. Since we are both in MD, I hope one day i get to meet you in person and see this watch. Thank you again for sharing!
BaltimoreBrian is offline   Reply With Quote