View Single Post
Old 27 April 2021, 07:23 AM   #17
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Thanks for the comments. We’ve been chatting about what to do, but no resolution yet. She tried the 28mm white face Roman numerals and doesn’t like it. As mentioned she’s very petite.

One added bit of info - last year she suffered a very severe second degree burn in on her watch hand/wrist and lower arm from being scalded with boiling water in a kitchen accident. The damage was extensive requiring a hospital stay at a specialized burn center. She was lucky to not require skin grafts. The skin has largely regrown, but it is thin and highly sensitive and will likely remain so for the rest of her life. She also has some minor, but permanent, nerve damage in the hand and wrist. As a result she is more sensitive to how the watch feels than she was before the accident. Although she hasn’t specifically mentioned the burn and how it affects her, I can tell that she is concerned about howa larger watch will feel and wear on her wrist. You can’t really tell in a 15 minute AD visit. She also must keep the hand protected from sun at all times - she wears sunscreen every day, rain or shine, warm or cold weather.

As an aside she was wearing her watch when she got burned. The doctors said that the Jubilee band served as a heat sink absorbing some of the heat of the injury. Since the band fully surrounded her wrist it prevented the water from causing complete loss of deeper skin tissue. That in turn prevented the swelling from destroying the blood flow and nerve endings from becoming a situation that would have required skin grafts. 40 years ago I bought that watch to honor her birthday. I never expected that it would save her from permanent disability and a much longer and painful recovery. Given all that our joint preference is that whatever we decide the watch brand will be a Rolex.

Because of this injury the decision is more complicated and I honor whatever she decides to do. Unfortunately the injury was so severe and even after a year she still feels it’s impact daily. I suspect she’ll opt to keep her watch, and maybe consider a dial and hand change for better contrast/visibility.
Whatever she chooses she’s very lucky to have you putting all this thought to it. Congratulations to you both.