View Single Post
Old 6 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #25
GHEN
"TRF" Member

I found out many years ago about a common scam (which may be common knowledge on this Forum) from one of the largest ADs in the country. I was doing some work for them and spent a lot of time talking to their watch manager.

Scenario 1:

A customer walks in with a Rolex and either asks for a service, or has a problem and is told their watch needs a service. The AD quotes a price several hundred dollars above what Rolex charges for a standard service. They then ship the watch to an RSC, do nothing more than mail the watch back and forth (which the customer also pays for) and they pocket the difference.

Scenario 2:

Same as number 1, except they send the watch to a local watch guy for a service, never telling the customer that Rolex did not service their watch. They usually spin some nonsense such as "Rolex's warranty is with us, so bring it back here".

I'm sure there are some honorable ADs out there but I would NEVER bring my Rolex to any AD. If you call Rolex in NYC, or Dallas they will give you very precise instructions on how to send your watch, and you deal directly with them. I have done this twice (NYC RSC) and have been very satisfied both times.

GHEN
GHEN is offline   Reply With Quote