View Single Post
Old 16 December 2019, 01:02 PM   #53
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
No arguments here, as I appreciate and own modern and vintage. To cite auction results as a testament to “coolness” is a bit of a stretch though. Certainly, as time passes and some watches are realized as significant, rare, or collectible....they obviously increase in value.
The funny thing is, many of the watches which people are now overpaying for in the vintage market, sat in cases when they were new.
As for the general consensus, never at any time in the history of Rolex have current model watches been in such high demand, and dealers been out of stock like this. With waiting lists for years, it’s safe to say that millions of people feel that Rolex has never been “cooler” than the modern pieces are right now!
[emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, fair enough. The citation to auction was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But prices on older models is increasing largely across the board along with the demand of current models. And the waiting list for years thing is also probably a bit of a stretch, given that's mostly limited to SS models, there seems to be some softening on that recently, and that can be largely manipulated by Rolex for reasons other than pure ability to satisfy demand.

I'll stand by my point that the technical improvements are outweighed by the current design language, but I'll concede the point that that's a subjective call.