View Single Post
Old 17 April 2018, 06:54 AM   #1
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Battle of Blue & Grey: AP & Rolex Combos?

Background:
  • I previously posted this thread laying out a discussion on what were previously a range of options I've been considering.
  • My thinking has shifted since then and I wanted to both start a new poll and get some feedback on a current debate I'm facing.
  • For those who don't click through, I've got $30k budgeted for one or more watches at the moment. I started this search thinking I wanted a DD40, but I've moved away from that after trying on a range of other options. Of my initial list, the only one I haven't been able to try on is the Ressence Type 1 Squared.
  • I had mixed/complicated feelings about the RO 15400 when trying it on in person. The bracelet pulled my hair (thread on that here) and the silver dial, while gorgeous, didn't 100% mesh for me with the shimmery bracelet. It was just kind of a lot of look, you know? While I like light play and reflections, it may have been a little much. I will acknowledge that both stores I tried it on in had very strong directional lighting, which may have made it look even more sparkly/shimmery than it would in normal circumstances. I still think the RO bracelet is the nicest looking bracelet on the market, but it does not fit as comfortably as my SubC bracelet by any stretch of the imagination.
  • That said, I haven't been able to stop thinking about that RO since I saw it in person twice late last week. It's a watch that looks/feels really different in person, and it stuck with me despite the challenges I had with it.

New Thinking:
  • At the moment I'm leaning toward adding one grey and one blue piece each to the collection.
  • I tried on and loved the DJ41 in WG/SS with fluted/jubilee in both the blue and rhodium dials. I think the rhodium was a bit more dramatic/interesting looking because of how it plays tonally with the WG and 904L steel. It looks very modern and very classic at the same time, and I really, really, really appreciate the EasyLink. I use the Glidelock on my SubC all the time and it's a fantastic feature, so I imagine I'd use the Easylink quite a lot.
  • Obviously the 15400 in SS/Blue is incredibly hard to find, so I am battling with this decision and would appreciate some feedback.

Two Sets of Options
  • DJ41 in Blue, Royal Oak in Silver
    • Neither one of these is my first, makes-my-heart sing choice, but they are a) gorgeous b) fantastic pieces that I am sure I would be thrilled to wear regularly.
  • DJ41 in Rhodium, RO in Blue

• I was only able to see the blue dial with the rose gold case, but it's a really striking color. From a distance I still think I love the silver dial the most, but up close and from a wearability point of view, the blue is quite appealing.
    •The downside here is that if I can even find a blue 15400, I'm looking at more than MSRP.
    •I can probably find one for what I'd have paid at a boutique for MSRP + tax, but it still nags at me to pay more than MSRP for something that will likely depreciate in value.
    •Normally I don't think about resale value, but since I'm not totally sure that the bracelet will stop pulling my hair, I'd like to have some confidence that I wouldn't lose a huge amount if I decided to move that piece on in a few months if it didn't end up working out.
  • Questions: Should I give the silver one a third look? Or suck it up and pay >MSRP for the blue? Do those of you who own the 15400 in Silver find it too blingy for your taste? Should I consider the Ruthenium dial 15400? Haven't been able to see that in person but could make a trip somewhere to try and look at it.

I'd be grateful for updated thoughts, recommendations, questions, etc. I really value the feedback and guidance that folks here offer and am eager to hear what these questions will garner from you.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote