View Single Post
Old 8 August 2017, 12:05 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Tudor Black Bay S&G (79733) Review

Tudor Black Bay S&G (79733) Review

Case

As many of you know the case dimensions are the same as any other in house Black Bay at 41 mm wide, 14.8 mm thick and 50 mm lug to lug. Although I was concerned about the thickness after trying the watch on I was pleasantly surprised. It is 2 mm thicker than a SubC and .7 mm thicker than a Pelagos. However, the case back is flatter than both those watches and the crystal is domed. The lugs are tapered and chamfered with polishing and polished outsides. I really enjoy this aspect of the case.

Overall, even on my 6.3 inch wrist, it is very wearable and even slides under a dress shirt cuff.

Crystal

The crystal is domed and no surprise it is sapphire. It gives the appearance of the older Plexiglas crystals with more durability. It adds to the vintage look of the watch but doesn’t do it in a distasteful or fake manner.

Bezel & Insert

The bezel is solid gold. Same coin edge that is throughout the black bay diver line. It is well made and solid. At 60 clicks it has very nice action. Between this and a 120 click I am really not sure which I prefer. Both are excellent.

The insert is anodized aluminum with brushed gold tone numbering. It matches the gold perfectly. The pip is gold surround with white lume. I am not sure why they did it white versus the yellow lume on the dial but I think it ties in nicely to the white date display at 3 o’clock. In any event it doesn’t bother me but could be a criticism.

Crown & Tube

The crown is capped gold at a thickness of .6 mm. That is extremely thick for capping. It is decorated with the rose in black. It also has the same coin edge that matches the bezel. The tube is black anodized aluminum and works really well. It is a nice detail. No crown guards on this model like the other black bays but I don’t mind it. Some have said the crown is too big. I disagree. The crown action is butter smooth. In fact it is as smooth as my SubC.

My favorite part about the crown is because of the rose design it is always “upright”. This is a first world complaint of many who own Rolex, outside of those with upright crowns or those with a Sky Dweller, and I appreciate the design aspect.

Dial & Hands

The dial is similar to the black bay red or black bay black. The minute markings on the dial are gold and match the brushed gold perfectly. Likewise the same for the Tudor shield and dial text. The hour plots are gold with yellow lume, which glows green, as are the snowflake hands. I appreciate they kept these polished versus brushed. Everything really catches the light while. The dial is not flat black as many of you know but has brown undertones. It really works well with the gold.

They say the dial is domed. I can’t tell but I think it is subtle either way. The difference between this and many of the predecessor black bays is the date at 3 o’clock. When I first saw it in pictures I said “why didn’t they do it in yellow tone?” It is a criticism. However, in terms of legibility I am not sure that would work well without a date magnifier on the crystal. I wouldn’t mind to have seen it mocked up to get an idea.

Movement

The movement is the same as in the Pelagos the Tudor in house MT5612. This movement is great. I really appreciate the 70 hour power reserve. Not much else to be said it is chronometer. We will have to see in terms of reliability – but it has some very nice technology. Yes it made the case thicker from the original ETA version of the black bay. To me the thickness is a reasonable sacrifice for a larger power reserve and in house movement. To some it is not and I appreciate that. More can be found here:

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/.../movement-5612

Bracelet

Aside from the crown this is the most controversial aspect of the watch. The bracelet is brushed. The center links on the end links are solid gold. The center links on the rest are capped at a thickness of .2 mm. This again is much thicker than plating. I am not going to defend the decision to do this. I would have paid more for more gold. That said I don’t mind it obviously because I bought the watch. However, I heard it can take 13 polishes. If you don’t like it you can get the watch on the strap with deployment. For me I would rather have the black bay red on strap if I were going that route.

The brushing is excellent. The addition to this watch over previous black backs (before the black bay black with in house) is the riveted bracelet. This was something I really thought I would not like. However, I was wrong. I like it. It adds to the detail of the watch. When viewed from the side it ties in nicely to the chamfered edge of the case.

Clasp

The clasp is not two-tone but is steel. I don’t mind that actually, especially if it weren’t solid gold, because the clasp as we know takes a lot of abuse even on the least abused watch. It is brushed but polished on the inner and outer edges. The polishing ties in with the edge of the case and of the bracelet. Really works well. It is flip lock and very secure. Not bulky and sits well in line with the rest of the bracelet. It has an older style extension that you need a tool or toothpick to move in 3 mm increments. My only criticism is I wish it had easy link or something of that manner.

Final Thoughts

I am not sure what Tudor set out to accomplish with this model. But let me tell you what they accomplished for me:

•An alternative to the 116613ln at a reasonable price point. Forget about MSRP. This watch used will be 33-37% of the price of a used 116613ln. It is already close to that new if you can find the right seller.
• A modern dive watch that uses vintage aspects which have been updated for technological advancements in horology.
• An overall good looking watch.
• Something different – brushed gold center links as an alternative to PCLs.
• A watch that can be worn with a suit or a swimsuit.

Below are some of my favorite pictures thus far as well as angles showing of the watch. Thank you for reading:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
8a.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg