View Single Post
Old 2 December 2019, 01:56 PM   #4
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Are you expecting to be desperate for money and have to sell to feed your children?
if so, maybe luxury timepiece sub-forums aren't the best use of your efforts..

I am sure that there is a forum for extreme coupon clipping somewhere on the internet..

point being... I am fully aware that "value retention" and "secondary market" are now part of the conversation, but that is only a recent convention... this is a bit of a trend of watch as investment - as the world is looking for other ways to make money during "unstable markets" (quotation marks because I have done unbelievably well in the markets lately just following my adviser's meat and potatoes approach)..

never before was value retention an issue in the luxury world, and it might not be for a long time after this bubble bursts...

Sure it's nice to be able to tell your wife, and yourself, that you could sell it for what you paid, or that you "could flip for more", or that it is a "good investment"

But really, the obstacle you need to get over is within yourself... can you allow yourself to buy an item purely for luxury?? or does it have to have some moral merit to it?

The hard part is that you are at a fork in the road of your Ego ...

Either #1. you can afford the luxury item, and will buy it purely because it is luxurious, and has no intrinsic utility (eg "I can use it diving", "I need a GMT for work") , but then have to surrender your idea that you have greater moral center than the "Fat cat gluttonous upper class"

or #2. you really can't afford it, might need to sell at some point... in which case, it is really kind of irresponsible to buy in the first place...

a harsh response in a lot of ways... but the internet and social media probably needs a dose of harsh realty every now and then..