View Single Post
Old 3 December 2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

I think OP question is fare one to ask, not sure why the harsh responses, I would understand if he was enquiring on resale value appreciating from investment standpoint but asking about value retention (selling at cost/break even) I think it’s totally fair to ask and consider.

To the OP, I’m not sure I have the right answer, but from where AP is heading on it’s boutique only concept and not allowing discounts through boutiques by default this will limit fluctuations of prices. Further, AP adopting frequent incremental price increase to its timepieces will definitely help retain value. Last year 15400 retail at 17 k usd this year 15500 retail at 19 k usd and we are now hearing from our friends in Singapore there is a price hike and it could be global.

15400-500 price increase was due to new in house movement and cosmetic changes, however, it raised the resale value on 15400 to match current model’s retail price or a little bit higher.

All of these factors contribute to value retention and for sure it strengthen the brands reputation.

It’s also important to mention that in the past there were instances where AP reduced retail price on its timepieces. Are they going to do it again? I doubt it.... but if it happens the subsequent result is a decrease in value on all effected models.

So my take on this is that AP will be one of the highest value retention brands in the watch making industry as they expand their boutique network and sell directly to consumers cutting off the middleman and therefore cutting any manipulation of prices (discounts etc).

At the end of the day, only buy the watch you like and will enjoy as it’ll accompany you through good and bad moments in your life and will form memories of its own.

Best of luck on your search and next acquisition [emoji106]
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote