View Single Post
Old 4 May 2019, 12:08 PM   #695
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Only recently had my first Islay malts-- Lagavulin 8 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask-- and REALLY enjoyed them. I know the two I tried are "entry level", but they were seriously stellar and right up my alley. All the flavours were right there and you didn't have to search for them- it was like swallowing a campfire, eating some earth, and then having some candy; stunning. I found them both pretty similar. I'd held off from trying Islay malts as the descriptions of "smoke" and "peat" were off-putting to me, however after trying these two, Islay is all I want to drink moving forward- much preferred them to any bourbon I've had (and I've had a few), ditto any other Scotches. Perhaps it was the sweetness in the two I tried that made them more tolerable/palatable. So I'm hoping you guys might be able to recommend me some other Islay malts to check out. I know the Laga 16 is world famous and I'll def get into that, but also hear great things about the 12. I'll be sampling my friends Ardbeg Uigeadail this Sunday and am interested in some of their other expressions as well.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote