View Single Post
Old 8 May 2019, 01:56 PM   #720
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Turning 30 later this year and wanting to treat myself with a special bottle- either a 30 or a 1989 single cask. Would like your guys help deciding and further suggestions.

-Highland Park 30
-Laphroaig 30
-Glenfarclas 30
-Glenfarclas 1989 Family Cask (winter 2017 bottle)
-Bruichladdich "Magnificent Seven" 1986/30
-Glengoyne 30
-Glendronach 1989 single cask (not sure what year bottling yet)

Of course I'd love a Macallan 30, but that's just downright silly money, imo. I've considered the Mac 25 Sherry- and hear GREAT things about it-, but that's not really a 30, is it? Might make an exception...
I heard some more '89's will be coming out this year, so will be following it closely before deciding...
Perhaps a 2019 '89 Farclas Family Cask or a Glendronach of the same vintage would be nice, pending release. I've studied reviews of all the bottles I've researched pretty extensively and all have pretty great reviews, so can't seem to go wrong. I'm an Islay fan, but love a good Highland/Speyside as well, hence the broad range of bottles. Most folks I've discussed the elusive "big 3-0" birthday bottle with suggested a birth year might be more fitting and to wait and see what '89/30 single casks come out this year, while others have suggested "one of each" (read a 30 age statement + an '89 single cask)... and I think I like the sound of the latter, in which case this post should read "help me pick two bottles-- a 30 year age statement and a 1989 single cask-- for my 30th birthday". You're a savvy lot and have no doubt deduced by now that this is little more than just another excuse to get into some more bottles lol- the round birthday thing just makes it a touch easier to justify to myself. And on the subject of single casks vs. age statements... I know a lot of whisky collectors favour single casks for various reasons, however they seem much more hit-or-miss than an age statement bottle which will be a blend of spirits to help present it in the best/most consistent way possible- wouldn't that be most desirable if best taste is the objective?

P.S. Here is a fascinating piece on the state of Sherry casks in the whisky industry that I was recently turned onto: https://www.whiskynotes.be/sherry-ca...f=sherry-casks
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote