View Single Post
Old 14 September 2016, 10:00 PM   #35
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoderunner View Post
has anyone ever regretted not buying the date Sub? I am seriously considering a rolex now but have never had a watch without date. I absolutely love the symmetry of 114060 and do not like the cyclopes on date sub. what advice would you give me?
I just bought a Sub No-Date, and it's my first watch without a date, chosen for two reasons:

1) The usual, major reasons - setting convenience, more rare, symmetry, history, cyclops-dislike, subtlety etc.
2) Price - the No Date is a whopping 12%, or GBP £700, cheaper

It's early days, but I think the absence of a date will bother me much less than I thought it would, and as I rotate watches (without using a winder), mean that picking it up from 'dead' and setting the time is much less hassle.

I work in an office, and currently, the date is permanently displayed at all times on the bottom right of my computer screen, and on my separate phone display. Never mind on my calendar, e-mails, mobile phone etc. Plus, I'm not senile enough so that I forget the date multiple times every day.

There's a lot to admire about Rolex - hence why I bought one - but even for a company which extortionately charges around GBP £50 for a single spare bracelet link, an extra GBP £700 just to add a date complication seems to me to be taking the piss more than just a little.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have paid for the date version if I had really preferred the look, but I don't, and I reckon I'll be just fine without the date display!
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote