View Single Post
Old 17 August 2018, 06:21 AM   #51
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Icon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
I think the unsaid part of the equation here, that is impolite to bring up but I will, is how much is your net worth is relative to your vintage watch value(s), in that if you have a relatively low net worth, love watches and invested in your love years ago you now see your collection as a large asset that you want to protect.

I would put forward it's a different mindset to a collector with a higher net worth that appreciates the appreciation of their watch collection, but is not daunted or stunned by it and finds it easier to wear a time piece that ten years ago was a 2-10k purchase and is now valued at 5x to 10x because they see it as both a watch they love and an asset, but if they smoosh it and it needs a total rework that decimates much of the watch's value, they are upset for obvious reasons, but not emotionally crushed the same way as someone where that watched represented a much higher proportion of their estimated overall net worth.
This! I recently sold my Daytona for a six figure amount as I really couldn’t justify owning it. I also didn’t want to take a hit if the bubble bursted. Even if they continue up I am still very happy with how it developed. If I were a much wealthier man I would have kept it and enjoyed it regardless of value.