View Single Post
Old 21 February 2019, 12:42 PM   #17
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Are you able to get a clear shot of the side of the cyclops. Need to see the flat side to determine if it's a Rolex crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickTheKraken View Post
If it's too good to be true ($$$) then it (probably) is.

After not trusting my gut (his response to something I was well aware of was incorrect) and sending my 1961/2 bamboo-bezeled 1603 in for a repair (and full service), I am unfortunately now here to report the results.

Here's what I needed/ask to be done (which would've been done in any other "full service"):

::: Wants/Expectations:::

- Repair crown/stem (crown comes unscrewed from the stem when trying to set the time forward)
- New crystal (mine had been polished down to nothing, to the point that the cyclops had no real effect)
- Watch running fast (clean, lube, regulate)
- Polish/refinish case (with best judgement)

I even included a document with the watch, stating all of the above, along with what I knew about the watch and of course all my contact info.

So, he receives the watch, does the work and ships it back out to me; I received it today.

::: Results :::

- Nothing done to repair the crown. I immediately tried setting the time forward and the crown screwed right off the stem.
- I don't know how to prove it, but the new crystal is simply not a Rolex part. It's slightly domed and the cyclops nether has the full magnification I know of and is not (it's physically impossible to be made to) aligned, horizontally.
- I'll assume he at least rebuilt the movement.
- I'll say this and only this: he polished the brushed finish off the top of the lugs.

After reading all the positive 5-star Rolex-related reviews on Google and Facebook (not a member), I thought it would be nice to give this guy, who has been running a watch shop with his family for year and years, my business. I mean, he even says (paraphrasing), "People ask me why my service is so cheap. I ask them, 'Why is Rolex's so expensive?'" All I can say is that you get what you pay for. And in this case, I paid someone to use aftermarket parts on, and ruin the finish of my vintage Datejust (not to mention flat-out not repair the one thing that was actually really wrong with it).

This is my first negative online review. I don't go and bitch and moan on Amazon about silliness, I don't slay sellers on eBay or berate restaurants on Yelp...but in this case I was (almost literally) seeing red and feel that I have to let others now what I experienced.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote