View Single Post
Old 20 December 2015, 08:47 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tough View Post
Many thanks for all the responses.
It is good to hear that it is not a problem around water, and it should last.
My only issue is that I think a 16710 even when it becomes vintage will not give the feeling that a 1675 to 16750 gives today.
The modern Rolex also have golden rings, same as the 16710. It is only the vintage that are matte dials and that truly look special.

I have another concern on that note.
I have seen some very old Rolexes from the 60s that retain in nice condition, with good patina, not flaking off and very beautiful.
I have seen also newer watches from late 70s and early 80s where the patina looks very bad, flaking off, and "dirty".
Is this due to bad care of the watch? Not routinely servicing? Maybe putting in sea water without pressure tested?

Or is this the future of all matte dials with Patina in the future?

I think a quest for a vintage GMT will start as it is the one I really like.
A vintage Rolex is like a cat - it has "nine lives." Those in poor condition with case issues, marked, scratched or missing paint and/or tritium from the dials/hands or suffering from corrosion/rust have probably used up all or most of their nine lives unlike the better maintained vintage watches which have not, and probably never will, fall prey to losing all their "nine lives" due to owners taking better care of their vintage investments both then and today.

Old watches are like old cars or anything else - some owners just take better care of their possessions.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote