View Single Post
Old 13 May 2021, 12:44 AM   #52
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

This thread is full with ego masturbation, shaming others deciding based on the decisions that they make after youtube videos and social media. But here is the question, if you cannot try the watch yourself, or even see it in person, how can you decide for yourself?

Feeling is more important to me than the looks, even if I can try the watch 5 min under jewelers light, it might not be enough for me to capture how it feels on the wrist. Youtube and social media is not an enemy and although that some of them doesn't speak for you, you can still capture some information.

The problem is holy grailisation of some watches, ridiculous tactics sharing of buying starter Rolex many pointed out above. Exp is a victim here, maybe because it is easier to get than others in the lineup and the value in the secondary market is lower so it is easier to keep than flip (after all youtube is a business for them and they need new watches for content).

To me, Exp is the gateway drug to Rolex if you start with it, it doesn't satisfy the Rolex itch as good as others. It can be the end watch after experiencing returning bezels, gmt hands, chronos, day-date functionalites, a simple three hander that is super legible, thin and light and versatile. But if you are a one watch guy or one Rolex guy, it is not the best option to start with.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote