View Single Post
Old 9 October 2014, 04:19 AM   #117
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I know your a stand up guy, after re reading what I posted it's a lot more negative sounding than I intended. I really just meant that not all people are savvy to market value(like the old man who bought your SD new in the 80's, wore it until it) "wasn't keeping very good time" and was about to THROW IT OUT if I remember correctly. I mean sure you could've looked at the purchase receipt from the jeweler found out the original owners address and sent him some money since both him and the jeweler were unbeknownst to the watches value. But your jeweler was happy with what he got, original owner was happy to get $250 for his trash, and you were happy with your amazing deal.

I see this deal no differently. Sure you offered more and that says something about your integrity. But ethically, i don't think it's any different. Purchaser got a great deal and is happy, seller got his asking price for a watch he wore and enjoyed for 20 years and still probably made a small profit on it. In the end everyone wins.
We can argue logistics of a sale all day long. But if a buyer and seller are both happy with a sale, I'd say it's an ethical and successful one. Reguardless of what way the scales are tipped.
I can't argue with much of what you said

I will clarify that I asked about the original owner, and the jeweler said that he didn't have contact info for the original owner. He just pulled $250 out of his wallet and paid cash for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
Sorry Jason. Wasn't referring to your deal only the instance.

If I ask the seller for a price and he gives me one I'm happy with I'm buying it no questions asked.
No worries my friend

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY