View Single Post
Old 7 April 2014, 01:04 PM   #30
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
especially when the 42mm doesn't even provide a technical reason for being big except to fit in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Like Rashid said, there is no technical reason why the SD has to be bigger.
'Technical reason'? '42mm big'? You guys continue to confuse me with "details" that don't really make sense to me. Pray tell what's the "technical reason" for a watch being 40mm vs 42mm? And who's to say 42mm is big...big on whom? Oh yeah, 'big' depends on the person wearing it...so 'big' is obviously EXTREMELY relative.

I'm 6' 1", 225lbs and I can very much tell you a 42mm watch does not come close to being 'big' on my wrist (heck, even my non-interested in watches wife noticed that point when I first put on a SD in 2008...first words out of her mouth were, "Wow...kind of looks like a dainty woman's watch on your arm...maybe you shouldn't buy such a small watch!" So how do you address those two points?

On second thought, please don't answer those questions...they were rhetorical...obviously I don't expect an answer seeing as we all know there's no "technical" reason for 40mm vs 42mm...so not sure how that even matters to this debate.

In the end this is simply a matter of taste...I think we can at least agree on that point and ultimately will agree to disagree on which one is "best". There will ALWAYS be followers in the camp of, "Don't change, keep it the same, 40mm is PERFECT!" in addition to the camp that says, "Bring on more variety and choice and let the consumer make the decision what's the 'perfect' watch size for them."

I'll always be in the latter camp and I suspect both of you will always be in the former...not necessarily right or wrong, just different (except I'm really the right one here while you guys are still drinkin the 40mm Kool Aid..., ).

Ironically enough, I really, really love my 40mm SubC (ended up getting rid of my DSSD because I always picked the SubC over the DSSD), so it's not like I'm not a fan of 40mm...please don't get the wrong idea. While I LOVE that 40mm watch, can you really fault me for wanting to add another SD to my collection?

But for me, the only way that was going to be justified is if the new SD was different enough to really stand out from the SubC. At the same size yet w/ a slightly taller crystal (plus that sweet graduated bezel), it's just not different enough for me to get excited about. But at 42mm the difference would have been tangible. Looks like I'll have to go back to the 42mm ExpII to satisfy my 42mm Rolex itch.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote