View Single Post
Old 14 March 2019, 11:48 AM   #84
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG DIVER View Post
Most of my fellow Green Berets in Vietnam purchased Rolex Submariner or GMT watches. In the mid to late 1960s, many ref 5512 and 5513 series were purchased by 5th Group members because of their toughness as tool watches. The prices in Hong Kong at the China Fleet Club were a bit cheaper than in the AAFES/PACEX exchanges.
Couldn't resist piping in here since I have a similar story. I was SF qualified but ended up in a leg outfit (1st Cav) two weeks after the "Cambodian incursion" in 1970. "Needs of the service," you know, with a 1542 basic MOS (infantry). SF was secondary.

In that year a GMT listed for $255 stateside and cost $180 at the Exchanges in Viet Nam. I bought mine for $139 at the China Fleet Club in Jan. 1971, and at the time my intent was to buy a watch that would last my lifetime. It has fulfilled that goal so far and will continue to, I'm sure, and although I almost never removed the watch from my wrist for the first 40 years I rarely wear it now. I etched my name and date on the back soon after purchase, at the time not considering any collector repercussions decades later, but I'm not sorry I did it. Anyway, I'll certainly never sell it.

It has the original Mark 1 "Long E" dial, hands, date wheel, and FF bezel with a proper 7836 bracelet with 280 end links and a clasp dated 4-70. Still have all original paperwork, boxes, etc. and have enjoyed watching its value skyrocket from its original $139 purchase price. Should've bought a Daytona with exotic dial (Newman) in addition to the GMT, but it wasn't waterproof or self-winding so it wasn't even considered. Also, the solid gold GMT was ~$460 at the CFC, but hindsight is 20-20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex, close + back.jpg (103.4 KB, 379 views)
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote