View Single Post
Old 17 March 2020, 03:04 AM   #2218
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Good morning my friend. I believe the massive concern from some here comes from the scientific establishment being 100% convinced that 40-60% of the US population will contact this virus with at least (best case scenario) 1-1.5% death rate. Well with a population of 320,000,000 that would mean 160,000,000 infected and 1.6 Million dead. Also the reason for the forced social distancing is to attempt to prevent all 160,000,000 from getting sick at the same time. We only have 985,000 hospital beds and most of them are being used at any given time so the more we can spread out the infections the better.

My main problem with all this is all the misinformation. This thread has had a bunch of it as well. I have no idea what to believe. I have a very smart friend convinced that the US will be like Italy in a few weeks only he says we will be losing 3000-5000 people a day. He gets this from medical websites and some immunology doctor he listens to on a podcast. You don’t want to know his predictions this will have on small business.

In my opinion we are definitely in a day and age of overreaction in general. We see it with all kinds of other situations. Whether the media, the government and the population are overreacting in this situation we will be finding out shortly. I pray we are because the predictions are too terrible to contemplate.

You bring up an excellent point, how are we to know what to believe? It is all over the map from it will be cured tomorrow to the end of the world. 5000 a day? I think that would rival Black Plague numbers in medieval Europe.

How many people PERSONALLY know someone that has contracted the virus? No, not your brother’s friends hairdressers cousin, YOU personally know, friend family member or co-worker? With less then 4,000 confirmed cases in the US (yes I know there are many more that have not been identified) I suspect the number of TRFers that have been personally affected is very low. Has anyone on TRF contracted it? With how many members we have? I don’t think so.

Take reasonable precautions people, If you are elderly or in poor health take more serious measures, but don’t barricade yourself in your shelter and shoot anyone that walks by.