View Single Post
Old 21 March 2020, 03:38 AM   #3004
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
How long do you think the entire country should stay in lockdown? Lockdown meeting absolutely no one goes to work?
I really have no idea. It will depend on the course of the disease. China and South Korea are reporting drastically reduced numbers of new cases. But other pandemics in history have gone on for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
With your medical background I'd be curious to hear your thoughts if you think #5 is possible. From my knowledge, the below are the 7 Coronaviruses that infect humans. I'm not familiar with a reliable vaccine for any of these though, so very curious how we will develop one effective against SARS-COV-2. I'm not an epidemiologist though, so perhaps virus coding is different and more targetable with this compared to others. Though it doesn't seem much progress has been made with the 3 below that potentially cause acute respiratory syndrome. Perhaps there have not been enough cases prior though to justify full research of the ARS causing infections?

Common Cold Causing Coronaviruses:
Serotype HUK1
Serotype NL63
Serotype OC43
Serotype 229E

The more serious Coronaviruses that more often result in respiratory issues compared to the prior:

SARS-COV-1
MERS
SARS-COV-2

I imagine we can make some solid progress towards treating symptoms at the very least though.
I don’t know enough about immunology or ID to make a guess. I know, like everyone else does, that we’ve been told a vaccine is 12-18 months out. Is that realistic, or is that statement made to reduce panic and placate us? I don’t know.