View Single Post
Old 10 July 2018, 12:54 AM   #3
Insured
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, TDR, PAM, ETC
Definitely, Grady. The yellow accents look to be a bit much when you're viewing a picture of the watch on a full screen monitor, but, when the watch is actually on the wrist the yellow accents are a matter of only several millimeters and they are far less obtrusive to the entire aesthetic.

After wearing for a couple days I have a few more thoughts:

1. The watch is fairly understated when compared to some of its "older siblings" like the Rolex Explorer I or Rolex Submariner. I consider these the older siblings because of both the similarities in case and bracelet finish as well as the sporty collection from the Rolex/Tudor family of brands. I don't see this in the same category as the Black Bays, for example, which to me are a tad bigger and represent more of a vintage throwback type of visual compared to the more modern visuals of the watches I mentioned. So, I call this watch understated because I feel it could be worn to a client meeting, for example, without screaming "I'm a nice watch!!!" in the same way that the Explorer I or Submariner might (because of the Rolex logo which is instantly recognizable) but yet still has the same fit with that general case shape and size, the bracelet shape and size, etc.

2. The integrated case-to-bracelet design is something that I'm a touch confused on right now as far as if I think it's the way watches are definitely meant to be or never meant to be. Of course I drool over some of the Genta options that are designed like this but all said and done there may be something to the formula of watch-than-bracelet vs. watch-into-bracelet if that makes any sense.

3. The value proposition of this watch is off the charts, plain and simple. Especially if purchasing pre-owned I would say you would be hard pressed to find a better offering from Omega, Breitling, IWC, and some of the other "big" sport watch brands that would have the same character combined with not being totally overplayed. How many watch get togethers do you go to and see multiple versions of Speedmasters, for example?? How often do you notice somebody wearing a basic Breitling sports/pilot watch?? Now think about how often you see a North Flag out in the wild.... never! Maybe it's because people hate them LOL but I personally like that this watch isn't as common and yet offers the same if not more in terms of value.

I see this one staying in my collection for awhile, though, I've said that before and been wrong. But this time I think I'm right!
Insured is offline   Reply With Quote