View Single Post
Old 21 November 2019, 09:50 AM   #78
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
The Rolex Sub is a luxury watch. The Omega is a very nice watch. One is expensive AND exclusive (meaning hard to get). The other is not very expensive and easy to get. These latter are facts. You decide which is the more prestigious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
The Subs are not luxury watches. They're very well made tool watches, and the only reason that they're currently hard to get is that Rolex is focusing production on non-stainless watches; historically they have not been hard to get. Part of the reason that Rolex watches like the Sub, the Explorer and the GMT Master are expensive is that Rolex has been superbly skilled at brand promotion and protection, which keeps new and resale prices relatively high.
I've been thinking about this. I think both points are true, in a way. Watches like the GMT Master and the Sub used to be real tool watches. They were never cheap, but they weren't out of reach. I remember seeing pictures of Rolex watches worn by field-grade and even company-grade officers in Viet Nam.

More recently, a Speedmaster Moonwatch or a 5513 Sub was a pretty affordable watch, especially used, and was the sort of watch that you could feel like you didn't need to remove when you were working under a vehicle or doing similar work.

But the days of being able to buy a used Sub for $2500 or a Speedy for half that or less are truly gone. Making matters worse, Rolex appears to be choking the supply of stainless steel watches, which is driving prices way up. So, at least recently, Rolex is both exclusive and expensive. But even clean Moonwatches are getting relatively expensive. It's too bad. Watches like these should be more accessible, but right now various market conditions don't make that possible.

Apologies to Locutus49 if I seemed rude or short.