View Single Post
Old 4 April 2018, 04:04 AM   #88
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris nyc View Post
gotta ask....what are you taking pictures with?
In regards to wristshots, I use my LG V30 Smartphone. Lens quality on it is good enough (not great) but the real important part is using manual control when taking a pic with it.

When you take a Smartphone pic in automatic mode , the camera's internal SW must:
1. guesstimate the average exposure level
2. select a shutter speed that is kind to "hand-held" shots
3. Adjusts the ISO (sensor's sensitivity) to fit the above two factors.

What this means is that the hands on the watch will most likely be "blown out", the photo will be a touch overexposed - not dramatically, but unnecessarily so and the high ISO selected will mean a noisy final image (or over-sharpened by the camera's SW).

Now if you have manual control...
1. Set the ISO to lowest value possible (ex. ISO 50)
2. Set shutter speed so that it's just above min. handheld (1/60 for most, 1/20 for younger & calmer WIS)
3. If the exposure "meter" says -2.0 or higher, you're GTG. If it's lower, then you'll be forced to up the ISO a bit (try 100... then 200...).

I suggest -2.0 because this is easily reversed by even the smartphone's standard photo-editing App and so you end up with hands (or any bright highlights of the watch) properly exposed and the remainder of the watch only slightly underexposed. Backgrounds (like in my "up close n personal" wristshots) don't need to be properly exposed and more often than not, are uninteresting (...gotta love those wristshots over the WIS' own keyboard... )

At least that's my M.O.

p.s. Oh, almost forgot; [Natural] Lighting is key - the more the merrier. No light, no (decent) shot. With artificial lighting, you will have to do a lot of trial-n-error with the Photo-editing app's "tint" slider - no fun.
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote