View Single Post
Old 24 October 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Small "extra" crown on Jubilee clasp

There has been some discussion here and on other forums lately, regarding an extra, Rolex coronet stamping found in the lower right corner on some Jubilee clasps. Some of these were identified as counterfeit, and rightly so.

Last week, there was a thread posted here depicting one of these bands that was identical to a Jubilee band that I had in my possession which contained the same markings which I believed to be 100% genuine based on the font, scrollwork, stampings, metal, weight, and workmanship. The only difference that I could tell between the "double coronet" Jubilee band and the most common of the Jubilee bands (without the double coronet stamping) was a slight variation in the scrollwork (which was minor) and, of course, the extra, smaller coronet. I examined this band forensically with the other Jubilee bands which confirmed my opinion that the "double coronet" band was genuine. (I even examined the screw-in link pins from the "double coronet" Jubilee band and the other genuine Jubilee band. The pins were identical except for approximately 1mm difference in length.)

The other day, I had the "double coronet" Jubilee band examined by experts from Rolex, who CONFIRMED THAT THE BAND IS GENUINE. Accordingly, I learned that these bands were produced from the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's by Rolex and, based on how little they show up, they were produced in small quantities. The extra, smaller coronet may also be found on the ladies version of the Jubilee band. As far as the oyster band goes, this "double coronet" was not on those bands according to them.

This was probably one of the earliest Rolex bands counterfeited, as it is has been over 30 years since it was initally manufactured.

If you run across one of these bands...WATCHOUT...it could be real, or it could be counterfeit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.crown.clasp 005.jpg (51.5 KB, 2733 views)
File Type: jpg small.crown.clasp 007.jpg (37.6 KB, 2647 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote