View Single Post
Old 12 March 2020, 02:31 AM   #1528
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
So basically he's predicting Armageddon? Since - and I'm taking a figure from Paul 77T earlier upthread as Gospel - you only have 700k hospital beds in the entire country, it won't actually be possible to admit even a small fraction of that number of people to hospital.

I’m not that good to write a Gospel, - but my stats are from the AHA 2020 report.

So that’s as factual as the American Hospital Assn. is in their reporting.

Check out aha.org

The predictions of dire healthcare impacts are based on many assumptions, variables and unknowns. One thing for sure is that large numbers can fool the reader.

If we have an outbreak in an understaffed area, they will be overwhelmed. To that group, the big numbers are fairly useless.

I should also say that the AHA number I cited in my earlier question didn’t include military and other state-owned facilities. The public wouldn’t go there unless we have a National State of Emergency methinks.

So if we take every bed from every type of hospital, then we have 931,203 beds. Again a large number and every bed isn’t available to every citizen.

For comparison, over 36+ million admissions are handled annually. That includes elective procedures that might be postponed in an emergency situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?