View Single Post
Old 23 September 2019, 01:56 AM   #22
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

**Your SEIKO and Japanese Whisky**

Thanks for starting this thread Adam!

I’m a fan of Japanese whisky, I have started to collect 12 years ago and visited all major whisky distilleries in Japan.

I would like to start with my first Seiko quartz chrono in 90s and Nikka blended whisky

I had few bottles of Taketsuru 竹鶴, where 21 YO is my favorite. I remember the last bottle I bought was only ¥6800 in the airport in 2013.

Taketsuru 竹鶴 is named under “Father of Japanese Wishy - Taketsuru Masataka 竹鶴政孝”, with a blend of two different Nikka single malt: Miyagikyo 宮城峡 and Yoichi 余市

Where obviously it carries both characteristics. It’s well balanced and suitable for all circumstances: on rock, straight, eastern or western cuisine, anything anytime...

Tasting note from Master of Malt:

Nose: Plenty of oak influence with hint of prunes and soy sauce. Cocoa, espresso beans, almost a touch of anise.

Palate: Spices, black pepper, loads of tangy sherry, hints of turmeric and other spices.

Finish: Long, good oaky grip with a perfect balance of spice.

The Samurai Nikka blended is more for decoration or fine for mixing cocktail.

The Nikka Whisky from the Barrel is a mix of malt and grain whisky, value for money and always have stock.

The Taketsuru Highball (in can) is nice for summer with only 7% of alcohol, available for limited time only.

Edited: adding the Tsuru 鶴 17 YO hiding deep inside my cabinet. This is the old bottle and box, I finished the transparent bottle long time ago and can’t recall it’s taste...

Ok, as this is a Seiko forum, I have to talk about the quartz chrono... nothing really worth to highlight, just my first Seiko :-)

I will prepare separate posts for Hibiki 響, Yamazaki 山崎, Hakushu 白州, Yoichi 余市, Miyagikyo 宮城峡, Karuizawa 軽井沢 etc

Hope I did not hi-jack this thread, just a little sharing.

P.S. Story of Taketsuru Masataka 竹鶴政孝:
https://www.nikka.com/eng/story/founder/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nan7yo is offline   Reply With Quote