View Single Post
Old 2 June 2009, 11:30 PM   #8
bagel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsteiner View Post
I am new to this forum, and to this area of study.
My enthusiasm far exceeds my knowledge.
I am at the beginning.

I own a Rolex Tudor Oysterdate chronograph in stainless steel.
I believe this to be a model #79280 with serial #B905XXX.

I purchased this watch, several years ago, from a highly regarded seller on ebay. The watch came with original Tudor papers dated 09.08.01 from the 'Goldsmiths Group', which I believe is in the UK.

I do not believe that the outer box and Tudor brochure are original.

Upon receipt, I asked my local Rolex Authorized Dealer to verify authenticity and nothing more. I was told that this watch was authentic, and a very clean example. The Dealer looked inside, I have not. I did not show the Dealer the accompanying papers or packaging. I believe that the Seller added the brochure and outer box to complete the package, nothing more.
I believe that the papers are original, but I am not qualified to take this fine item apart.

From reading carefully compiled information by enthusiasts such as Bagel, I have concluded that this watch is circa 1997, Pre-Tiger endorsement. What I can not reconcile is why this watch is designated 'Tudor Oysterdate', rather than 'Tudor Prince Date'. This watch's crown and back are hallmarked with the Rolex insignia, and the back is engraved 'ORIGINAL OYSTER CASE BY ROLEX GENEVA'. The bracelet is stainless steel and marked #78400. The clasp is hallmarked with the Tudor insignia.

I will appreciate any comments, suggestions and helpful input.

Thank you,
Peter Steiner

Hi Peter

Welcome to TRF and thanks for your info.

According to your description of your 79280, it appears to be the earliest version with rolex crown, rolex case back, oysterdate (instead of prince date), and 78400 oyster bracelet. The 792x0 pre-tiger later on changed from oysterdate to prince date but I don't have a conclusive estimate yet on when it had changed.

Hope you will enjoy wearing your tudor chrono ......
bagel is offline   Reply With Quote