Thread: 5170p vs. 5170g
View Single Post
Old 31 October 2020, 11:07 AM   #29
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
If your income level doesn't permit you to buy a $45k or $85k watch without selling something, I think it's probably a purchase that may be out of proportion to your current finances. I think a good amount of people here, as someone else mentioned, have $300k+ collections. Their advice as to which to get is likely not bound by any financial constraints

[...]

I would end up resenting a purchase of that level that I didn't wear often (as you suggested you might not)
That is the main concern about the P. This will sound crazy, but I went through literally every outfit I had. I asked myself what are the top 3 watches I'd wear, assuming I had a 5170P, 5170G, 1815 chrono in RG, and the three rolexes I currently own, assigning 3 points to the first choice, 2 to the second, and one for the third. In order, it was the 1815 Chrono in red gold, my 1803, then Sub, then Daytona, then 5170G, then 5170P (with the P earning less than half the points of the next lowest performer, the 5170G). Which confirmed that I think I would get the least wear out of it. For a person of limited means (mind you, one who could still afford a $100k watch collection), an inverse relationship between cost and wear is just bad sense. No matter how much I love a watch.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote