Thread: 5170p vs. 5170g
View Single Post
Old 1 November 2020, 12:43 PM   #34
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
That is the main concern about the P. This will sound crazy, but I went through literally every outfit I had. I asked myself what are the top 3 watches I'd wear, assuming I had a 5170P, 5170G, 1815 chrono in RG, and the three rolexes I currently own, assigning 3 points to the first choice, 2 to the second, and one for the third. In order, it was the 1815 Chrono in red gold, my 1803, then Sub, then Daytona, then 5170G, then 5170P (with the P earning less than half the points of the next lowest performer, the 5170G). Which confirmed that I think I would get the least wear out of it. For a person of limited means (mind you, one who could still afford a $100k watch collection), an inverse relationship between cost and wear is just bad sense. No matter how much I love a watch.
If you hang out in the Patek forum long enough, you will realize that there is indeed a real inverse relationship between how much a watch is worth and how often you wear the watch.

Plenty of threads describing how since the price of a 5711/1A shot up to 2-3x retail over a few years, those who purchased the watch at retail and used to wear it regularly all of a sudden stop wearing the watch. The reasons vary, whether it is to keep it in good condition for possible resale or people feeling more conscious of wearing a $30k watch vs a $70k market price watch on a daily basis.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote