Thread: 5170p vs. 5170g
View Single Post
Old 4 November 2020, 02:56 AM   #44
niqui7ladoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
Hi all,

I'm debating between two 5170s; the P ($85kUSD) and the white-dialed G ($45k). I've been drooling over the P for months and have heard the impassioned pleas of contributors here that the P is the end all, be all of the 5170. I finally saw them both side-by-side at Michael Ashton in NYC yesterday. But, the closer I get to pulling the trigger, I'm leaning G...Here's some rationale.

The P is objectively a far more beautiful watch, truly one of the best looking pieces I've ever seen. But, it's VERY dressy and I would argue that strap changes won't affect that much. My sense is I'd own it, worship it, but reach for it maybe once or twice a month. I work in tech and almost never wear a suit.

The G, while more plain, is more wearable. The Breguet numerals give the dial some warmth, and it's a strap monster. Seems like it could easily be dressed up or down.

Summarily, I think I lust after the P but the G would give more long term ownership satisfaction.

My collection is small (I have a 1803 Day Date, 1680, and a 116500LN), and this is my first Patek. Truthfully, I might have to sell the Daytona to afford the P. At my income level, $85k is a great deal to allocate to one watch that I think, despite it being the most beautiful watch I've ever seen, won't wear as much. Still...it's so stunningly gorgeous.

My questions are these:
- 5170P or G owners: do you wear the watch often? Does it look harmonious with a variety of dress colors and styles?
- Is it better to own the best possible piece and not wear it or get more use out of something that is a little less desirable but more flexible?

I think the G is far more daily-able and more of a strap monster for sure. The P is more special as you know. I personally was always a black G or P guy on the 5170 but the pricing on the white and casual look with so many straps make it interesting to me as well. While I can't offer much help, the one thing I can say is that when I go into a purchase thinking the item is simply "too expensive" I almost always fail to enjoy it fully ... it just sours the experience. I know when I bought my openworked grey for 50% more than I wanted to, it somewhat sullied the ownership experience. So if you are going to have the price on your mind and have to lose 25% of your collection for it, that may kill the experience.

Also, it seems like you know how to shop around judging by the 45k number you quoted on the white 5170G ... so I think you should shop around a bit more on the 5170p, I have been regularly offered them for quite a bit less than 85k (full set, no drama).

Nick
niqui7ladoo is offline   Reply With Quote