View Single Post
Old 20 May 2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Icon14 Unboxing/review of the Datejust II fluted black stick dial 116334...wow!

Just to start out that this is the first "modern" Rolex I have purchased in a long time. I have been into only the sport/diver models for the last 25 years and it was time for a more upscale sporty/sports model and the Datejust II with its heavier fluted bezel and markers couldn't be more perfect for my collection.

After trying on alot of models at my local AD this week I was floored by the Datejust II with the enamel looking black stick dial and white gold fluted bezel so much that I searched with our forums trusted sellers and found one at SD Watches and Tony made me a deal on a brand new one I couldnt pass up. Tony is a true pro and knows how to treat a picky forum member. His service is first rate.
This is how Tony sends his watches via over night in multiple boxes and inner bags. He also includes his own yellow nylon bag over the outer Rolex box just so the outer box still remains pristine in shipping.

All hang tags as well as the Rolex warranty card filled out for march 2017.

The inner box number:

The next was to wind the watch and set it before I go any further.

Before I can size the bracelet I had to remove all the stickers. I put the watch under my magnifying light and started the process. Holly crap Rolex, how may stickers is on this watch and who puts them on this precise.

At this point I inspected the watch under high magnification and its perfect even to my WIS ocd standards.

I needed to remove only one link on the 6 o'clock side and taped off either side of the bracelet screw with blue painters tape. My Panerai flat head is a perfect fit for the newer Rolex bracelet screws. I believe my classic Bluesy has a finer flat head as I used a different screw driver for it. FYI:Rolex did apply loctite at the factory as the threads had a white residue. Easy task and the watch fit perfect with the easy link in.

With the easy link out the watch still fit nice but looser as designed for quick adjustments. Love the easy link.

The overall look of the Datejust with this face is more elegant classic sports watch and less business watch for sure. Classic Rolex.

This watch is a stunner. The fluted bezel with the black dial is exactly the clean look I was longing for. The bezel puts on a light show in the sun and lights up my kitchen walls with just a hint of sun rays hitting it. It complements my Bluesy in the same flashy way without yellow gold.

I then had to do a lume test and see how well the markers light up. Very good and readable even with the thinner stick hands.

The weight and fit is very well balanced without feeling too big but still having big watch wrist presence.

I cant recommend Tony enough at SD Watches as he knows how to treat a watch collector and their needs. I do recommend trying on different models as some I thought I liked didnt fit my needs and others I didnt look at before brought me to my knees when on my wrist. When I get that reaction, the watch is always a keeper.