View Single Post
Old 2 October 2006, 05:33 AM   #1
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Steinhart Ocean 1

Steinhart Ocean 1 42mm Review

In my time I have had the privilege of owning many brands from Casio to Rolex. My passion has always been for brands such as Omega Eterna and Rolex. Top of the list would be the Rolex Submariner or Sea-dweller and indeed up until the end of last year I owned both models, but due to personal reasons, they had to go. I was holding out on buying other watches, in order to purchase another Sub that was until I came across Steinhart. I had never heard of the brand, and it certainly was not available in the UK. Looking at some of the reviews, the company’s website and the excellent customer service people reported, I decided to take the plunge and order a 42mm Ocean 1.
I ordered the watch on a Monday it was with me by lunchtime Wednesday from the States to the UK. The watch arrived well packed and when I opened the outer white cardboard box I was presented with a lovely highly polished black watch box with white interior, the watch was sitting on a white cushion with a Steinhart swing tag and plastic credit card style warranty card, the whole presentation experience oozed quality in every way. So far so good.

When I cast my eye over the watch for the first time in the flesh, I thought wow, this is better than I thought.

The Dial:
One word, perfect, the quality of finish, printing just perfect with no flaws

The Bezel:
Perfect coin edge bezel with one wish, that the luminescent dot was white, the same as the dial lume.

The Case:
Tolerance’s of the case are exceptional I would suggest over engineered, the marking on the crown, lines up perfectly, why can’t Rolex manage that.

The Bracelet.
Solid end links, links all secured by screws and divers extension. Again top quality finish and engineering.

The Movement.
An ETA caliber 2824. Can’t tell you much about this except I’m led to believe it’s a bit of a workhorse.

Customer Service.
Literally second to none, I had a small problem with one of the screws in the bracelet, spoke to Jon & Elsa, explained the problem and instead of sending just the affected part, they sent me a completely brand new bracelet within three days. What more can I say.
This watch is worth a great deal more, and I’m not sure how they are managing to sell at its current price. Thank you Steinhart, what every Watch company should aspire to.
Jon Hill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocean_1-1.jpg (70.3 KB, 2948 views)
File Type: jpg clasp2.jpg (43.1 KB, 2891 views)

Last edited by Baptistman; 2 October 2006 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: extra picture
Baptistman is offline   Reply With Quote