View Single Post
Old 17 March 2020, 09:52 PM   #2369
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2 View Post
What are you saying is .2% ?

Based on their (China) numbers (not sure that I believe them knowing China) are accurate or rather, "full disclosure," their death rate is at 3.84%. Whereas Italy is running at a death rate of 7.71%.

Washington state is running at 5.3%. While most countries numbers reflect around a 3% death rate, some are dying and have not been tested, so cause of death is being labeled as some other cause and not COVID19. My wife is in the healthcare industry and testing is a process and not yet widely available.

The .2% I mentioned is the observed reinfections rate cited in the article. It isn’t related to the death rates.

From the article I posted:
“Such cases account for less than 0.2% of China’s total infections — not enough to cause alarm. But they are raising questions in China about the reliability of diagnostic tests, the possibility of reinfection and whether patients are wrongly designated as “recovered” and released too early from hospitals.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
I believe he is talking about possible reinfection rate.

Stay safe fellow Carolinian.

Yes, appreciate you reading the article.

The quick sequencing of the initial coronavirus genome will be helpful beyond its usefulness in vaccine engineering. If the reinfections are actually true, then the samples taken from them should show a mutation.

For the time being, with the reinfections being so low, we may not hear about efforts to isolate a potential mutation.

The encouraging news is that previous viral outbreaks showed that new generation mutations were weakened compared to their ancestor(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?