View Single Post
Old 10 October 2021, 09:29 AM   #1
1981Eagle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 42
Some macro (My method) - pic heavy

I like really pushing in - but macro lenses can be really costly. So the way I do it is to take a 'standard' lens, and put a 'reversing ring' on the front filter thread, this allows you to mount the lens backwards.

Then for the prior rear of the lens that is now the front I put on a threaded ring to protect the unused bayonet mount and a nice skylight to keep dust out. I also made an aluminum ring to mount my ring light.

Since I lose my autofocus and the type of photography this gives has a very shallow depth of field, I needed to make a fine focus rail - here is what I made - the carriage has an Arca Swiss mount and runs on linear bearings.

Then - I wanted to be able to tilt and adjust the watch into any position and keep it still ... I took my inspiration from a machinist's indicator holder.

Then - with a lens not reversed, but with exension rings, I can get photos like these

And if I use the extension ring AND the reversed lens I can get photos that look nearly like microscope photography

I am working on my technique and I am trying my hand at photo-stacking, but so far I am not happy with any results I have gotten.

Hope you enjoyed.
1981Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote