View Single Post
Old 28 June 2006, 02:10 AM   #1
Atomic

Just read Panerai Historia - From the Depths of the Sea

Our fellow TRFer and fellow paneristi, Launch Mini sent me a copy of this book (thanks again, John).

While the translation to English is a tad rough in spots, I was flabbergasted to learn how integral the Panerai watches and other navel and aviation gizmos were to the war effort of Italy in both 'World Wars' (ahem, for both sides).

The Panerai truly was/is the original professional diver's watch. These things were designed in 1935 (the initial Radiomir) and into production shortly after that. Granted, the movements and cases were manufactured by Rolex, HOWEVER all to S. Panerai's own designs. The original Rads were waterproof to a depth of 200m, in 1938!!

Having read this book cover to cover, I was also amazed by the bravery of the Gamma Swimmers and the 10th Flotilla, who rode torpedo-like vehicles through anti-submarine and torpedo nets (stopping to cut their way through the wire mesh), into harbours, under ships where they would place an explosive on a timer and speed away to safety (sometimes). One raid alone sank over 60,000 tons of British warships!

This new found knowledge really exacerbates my pride in owning a Panerai with a history, while not big on 'haute horologie' per se, but big on functionality in the worst conditions, is something any watch manufacturer would kill for. Plus the fact that Panerai has vowed that production will not exceed more than 40,000 pieces a year is also pretty cool, i.e., not cashing in and upping production to a point where Pannies become as 'common' as Rolex.

If you have a panerai and don't have this book... GET IT.

Thanks again, John.