View Single Post
Old 26 August 2019, 04:42 AM   #66
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
"The automatic winding mechanism has been overhauled, starting from a more secure nut holding the rotor instead of a simple screw; a spiral spring on the click wheel for smooth and adjustment-free ratcheting; the addition of an uncoupling reduction wheel with integrated clutch for the ability to manually wind the barrel; and a similar uncoupling wheel with a unidirectional clutch.
There is a patent pending for the uncoupling clutches as well as patents for a few features in the weekly calendar mechanism."

This is from the Quill and Pad review of the 5212A. Check it out but older automatic movements should not be regularly fully wound unless they are designed for both manual winding and automatic winding. Best to invest in a winding box if not regularly worn. When I bought an automatic Grand Seiko it specifically said the watch was designed to both be manually wound and automatically with no harm to the movement.
I will check it out.

Edit. Having read Quill&Pad review and Pateks own instructions I’m still of the opinion that you can manually wind 324, 240 etc movements. Patek seem to be saying 10 complete clockwise turns of the crown winds the watch - nothing in the instruction manual about not winding as far as I can see.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote