View Single Post
Old 13 December 2017, 03:38 PM   #321
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrick View Post
Hi Joe I wonder if that might be from 66? I I have three 65's with 1.2 m serials and 65 stamped in the case back including the 5500 pictured above without "Precision" scripted in the lower hemisphere. This is of particular interest to me because I am curious as to the time span of the 5500 dials that did not have "Super Precision" or "Precision" printed on the lower half of the dial.

Cheers,
Rick
Oh sorry, I mistyped that! It is a 1966.

The Super Precision on the dial means it has a cal 1530 and the Precision or lack of Precision means 1520 calibers. The P or non P dials were market dependent. Lower jewel count USUALLY had non P, not always. Higher jewel movements had the Precision text. It gets more deep than that because it seems that different markets at different times had different dials, or maybe rolex used P dials for non-P service dials, who knows.

To really get to the heart of it, you’d have to get a sample of non P dials and see which version of the caliber 1520 is in there. A rolex watchmaker can comment on how many versions of the 1520 there are but I think there were 6.