View Single Post
Old 17 February 2018, 11:28 PM   #1
dlack
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona - Correct Winder Direction for 4130 Movement

I realize that my Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116523 with in-house 4130 movement has an exceptional power reserve at 72 hours, and no date function; however, I still like to keep it on a watch winder when not being worn.

The issue is this: I want to be certain that I am setting the wind-cycle to the correct "direction" (i.e. CCW, CW or bi-directional) for this particular movement.

The Orbita Winder database indicates the required winding direction for the 4130 movement, as "CW".

Posts on various watch forums indicate that for the 4130 movement, winders can be set "bi-directionally". In fact, some forum posts indicate that the Orbita database is plainly "wrong" in stating the required setting for the 4130 as "CW".

The conflicting information is confusing, and I suspect that it does indeed "matter" what direction is selected for the winding cycle for a particular movement.

I would normally communicate on the subject directly with the movement source i.e. Rolex; however, there is no "contact" feature at Rolex's website and, in any event, it is often difficult to obtain prompt, individualized responses from certain companies (though I can't say that Rolex is necessarily one of those).

Does anyone here have the definitive answer to this "directional" question, based on an authoritative source that they can share, such as a Rolex technical document or communication with a Rolex-trained watchmaker.

I do appreciate that there are those who might wish to respond by saying they've had their 4130 Daytona's set to "bi-directional" winding (or something else) for years, with no issues; however, as should be evident from my post, I'm not seeking out the experiences of others but, rather, the correct answer based on a reliable source.

(I will be cross-posting this to the General Discussion Forum as well.)

Thanks in advance to all who respond!